Historical Landmarks

The Town of Washington, the third-oldest settlement in Louisiana, is a former French trading post that flourished thanks to the river the bayou that runs through it. The town was founded in 1720 on the banks of Bayou Courtableau, and eventually rose in prominence as a steamboat port that brought cattle, sugar and other farm goods from Cajun Country to markets in New Orleans. The last steamboat left Washington in 1900, leaving behind homes and warehouses that today form the heart of the town's historic district. In fact, 80 percent of the city is on the National Historic Registry.

Locations

1. Washington Museum & Tourist Center
404 North Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-3627
View Website

The museum was built with brick salvaged from the Plonsky Opera House and Store which burned in 1902.

2. Washington Town Hall
405 North Washington Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-3626
View Website

3. Washington Municipal Library
c. 1904

408 Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-7336
View Website

The original home was built by Jacob Plonsky, a business man who migrated from Prussia.

4. Steamboat Warehouse Restaurant c. 1820
513 North Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-7227
View Website

This is the last of the old steamboat warehouses on Bayou Courtableau.

5. Steamboat Cottages
513 North Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-1009
View Website

Located adjacent to restaurant.

6. De La Morandiere c. 1830
509 North St. John Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This home was built by Francois Corso, who also built and owned The Steamboat Warehouse.

7. The Demaret House c. 1860
415 North St. John Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This home was built by Pierre and Elizabeth Casse who opened and operated a general merchandise store.

8. Landreneau House c. 1891
235 DeJean Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

Dr. Edwin Cushman built his home on a lot bought from his mother-in-law, Fannie Anderson Wilkins for $400.00.

9. Paradis House c. 1852
324 DeJean Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This home was built by Dr. Edward Heard and wife Sara Webb on property purchased for $1,200. Oral tradition says it was built by Amos Webb, father of Sara, and given to her as a wedding gift.

10. Magnolia Ridge c. 1790
Hwy 103 Prescott Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This house began as a small dwelling for an overseer. It was built by John Collins on 320 acres of land bounty for his participation in the Lewis and Clark Expedition and named “Oakland” (now known as Magnolia Ridge).

11. Cedar Hill Cemetery c. late 1700s
Cedar Hill Drive
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This property was donated by Judge John Moore and was originally part of Oakland Plantation.

12. Hebrew Rest Cemetery
c. late 1700s

West Hill Drive
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-3626
View Website

This property is an exclusively Jewish place of burial.

13. St. Mark's Methodist Church
c. 1867

437 West Vine Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This church is located on property that was originally part of “Oakland Plantation”. It was sold to the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1911.

15. Old Church Landing Cemetery
c. 1700

West Hill Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This was the first Washington Cemetery. It later became known as Yellow Fever Cemetery for its use in the epidemics of the mid 1800s.

16. Wolff Home c. 1884
216 South Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

Leon Wolff built his home on the site of the wagon yard which served his general store located on Main Street. The last wagon was sold in 1952.

17. Carriere House c. early 1800s
304 South Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

Steamboat Captain Gerand Carriere built this home which became known as “The Nicholson House”.

18. Nanny Bell Antiques
492 South Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-849-8477
View Website

Open Friday – Sunday 10 am – 5 pm.

19. Prather House
305 North Main Street
Washington, LA 70589

20. Lucien Dupre House c. 1840
502 South Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This home is known as The Muller House. It was sold to Lawrence Muller in 1922 for $1,500.

21. John Hunt Gordon House c. 1834
604 South Main Street
Washington, LA 70589

This house was built by steamboat Captain John Gordon Hunt. It is known today as the Elter House.

22. Wilfred Bidstrup House
c. early 1800s

105 E. Garrigues Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

At one time William Nathaniel Curley , an Ireland native, lived in this house. He served as town mayor from 1880 - 1884.

23. Holy Trinity Catholic Church
c. 1950

414 East St. Mitchell Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-3376
View Website

24. Hummel House c. 1857
113 South Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This was the home of Bernhard Hummel. He operated a store and bakery in buildings adjacent to his home.

25. Old Courtableau Cafe
c. early 1800s

104 South Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-298-9077
View Website

This building was formerly Lastrapes Meat Market and Kirt Soileau Hardware.
The Café will open Fall 2017.

26. Steel Magnolia Antiques
114 Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-3321
View Website

Open Friday – Sunday 9 am - 6 pm

27. Plantation Antiques c. 1870
203 Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This structure was built by Jacob Plonsky, a Jewish merchant from Prussia, to serve as a home and store. It was later known as the “Klaus Store”.

28. Joseph Brown House c. 1918
344 DeJean Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

Dr. Joseph Brown built this house on this lot bought from Thistlethwaite Lumber Company.

29. Wolff Banquet & Reception Hall
c. 1852

202 North Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-232-5300
View Website

The original two-story building was built by Thomas Watkins as a residence and a store on this site. It was purchased by Leon Wolff who rebuilt the store in 1935.

30. Joseph Leer House c. 1867
306 South Bridge Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

Joseph Leer, a native of the German Republic, built this home. He operated a grog in town.

31. Jean Baptiste LaFleur B&B
c. 1800

225 West Carriere Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-418-1506
View Website

This Creole cottage was built by Mr. LaFleur on a Spanish Land Grant. It is also known as The Quirk House. creolebookshop@gmail.com

32. Immaculate Conception Catholic Church c. 1851
306 East Moundville Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

The first chapel was built in this territory in 1767 and this area became known as Church Landing. It was named Parroquia de San Leandro. A larger church, built in 1851, was named Immaculate Conception. This church burned in 2011, was replicated and dedicated in 2013.

33. Old Schoolhouse Antique Mall
c. 1936

123 Church Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This is the third school house built on this site.

Admission is free to everyone!

Open Friday – Sunday 9am to 5pm; Café located in gym.

34. Carriere Desautels House c. 1902
608 East Carriere Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

James Carriere, a manager of a cotton warehouse and oil mill, built this house.

35. Nathaniel Offutt House c. 1840
410 East Carriere Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This Greek Revival style home was built by Nathaniel Offutt who owned Upper Place Plantation.

36. Phil Wartelle Home c. 1839
209 North Church Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This home was built by steamboat Captain James Capps.

37. Crawford House Bed and Breakfast c. 1850
331 East Carriere Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-3003
View Website

Captain James Willson built this home as a small Acadian style cottage. Additions were made in later years.

38. St. John's Episcopal Church
c. 1874

305 North Church Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-3003
View Website

The church was built on land donated by Elbert Gantt and served as a functioning parish until 1970. It is currently owned by the Washington Garden Club.
Rental available for special events. washingtongardenclub70589@gmail.com

39. Hinckley Home c. 1800s
402 Hinckley Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This house was built by Thomas Gardner who owned and operated a tannery. A family cemetery is located on the property.

40. Schmidt Hotel c. early 1800s
317 North Bridge Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

Dominque Lalanne built this home in the Dutch Colonial style. Over the years it was a hotel, a general store, and a rooming house.

41. Steamboat Turn Around c. 1847

Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This slip was dredged by Captain Haygood to accommodate steamboat turn around. He sold it to the town.

42. Lalanne Home c. 1860
511 North Bridge Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

Jean Marie Lalanne, a half brother of Dominque, built this home. He was a big land owner and businessman.

43. Francois Marchand House & Eagle Hotel c. 1826
123 North St. Landry Veterans Memorial Hwy
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

The building was the first hotel in Washington and one of the oldest structures still standing. For many years, it was sold as separate structures even though they were attached.

44. La Maison de Gabrielle c. 1871
204 East Carriere Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

Businessman Cornelius Cozine built this home.

45. Laura's Cottage Bed and Breakfast c. 1871
111 East Moundville Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

46. Turn Around Point Park & Campground
St. Landry Veterans Memorial Hwy
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-3626

Complete hook-up for RVs. Boat launch.

47. Emma Zion Baptist Church
c. 1896

517 East Vine Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-3555
View Website

48. Shiloh Baptist Church c. 1871
419 Buhot Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-7934
View Website

The first building was on Bayou Carron and moved to present site in 1908.

49. Washington Campground
1408 Highway 10
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-4822
View Website

Friday – live music; Saturday – Disc Jockey
Basic hook-up for campers.

50. Harbourage House c. 1888
325 Tate Street
Washington, LA 70589

In 1978, this house was moved to Washington from Cattaro Plantation in Grand Prairie.

51. Old Wood Accents
321 Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-351-9009
View Website

Vendor of antique flooring and beams.

52. Arlington c. 1829
386 Arlington Road
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This three story home was built by Major Amos Webb, an early settler of St. Landry Parish.

53. Starvation Point c. 1823
200 Hwy 745
Washington, LA 70589

The common thought is that it was built by Luc Collins. Records indicate that it was built by George Honorè Guillaumè Stevens.

54. Thrifty Way Pharmacy
c. mid 1800s

310 North Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-826-3677
View Website

This building served as offices for dentists and physicians.

55. John Reed House c. 1850
118 South Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

Mr. Reed owned and operated a coffee house (saloon) on the property. This is also known as the Quirk House.

56. OxBow House c. 1960
351 DeJean Street
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

This is a Sears Roebuck mail order house.

57. Historic Washington Art Gallery
c. 1920

St. Landry Veterans Memorial Highway
Washington, LA 70589
View Website

Originally this was a Methodist Church in Lettsworth, LA.
Open Saturday 10 am – 4 pm; Sunday 12 pm – 4 pm

58. Baker & Co.
305 North Main Street
Washington, LA 70589
337-628-0220
View Website

Custom T-shirts and Handmade Soaps
Open Monday - Friday 9 am – 5 pm

59. Mayo House c. 1840
205 South Main Street
Washington, LA 70589

Steamboat Captain William Mayo built this home.

60. Campbell House c. 1867

Washington, LA 70589

This home was built by Dr. James Green Campbell. His patient, Mary Wilson was cured by Blessed John Berchmans who was canonized in 1888 – The Miracle of Grand Coteau.